Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Key to Co-Wash Success







Until recently as a texlaxed girl I have found co-washing to be pointless & not at all beneficial to my strands. Each time I would attempt to add co-washing into my routine I would end up cutting the practice after a week because I did not like the way it left my hair feeling. Now that I am both relaxed & colored moisture is a must and I am taking every precaution to ward off breakage and maintain the health of my strands - this is where co-washing comes into play.

Since March I have followed my Routine for Damaged Hair which includes co-washing at least 3 times a week. Not only has my hair grown during this time (visible black roots with red lengths) but I have not seen any breakage and split ends are virtually non-existent. I have yet to experience the build-up, mushy strands, and overall feeling of disgust I used to have with co-washing & I attribute my positive experience to the following key factors:

Use a Quality Conditioner
Most women who co-wash prefer to use cheap conditioners that can be bought frequently without damaging the pockets. I'm as spend conscious as the next girl but  I would rather sacrifice a few dollars each month on a quality product than deal with lack-luster strands. For my co-washes I have used two conditioners (1) Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm & (2) Joico K-Pak. Both of these products contain quality ingredients, do not strip the hair, & rinse cleanly from the strands.

These products are a bit on the pricy side, but Sally's sells the GVP brand that works just as well. Check out my review of the GVP brand here.

Avoid the Scalp
In the past I would co-wash my hair as if I were shampooing, meaning I would apply a bit of the product to my roots and gently massage it in. I thought I was cleansing my scalp since the cheap-y conditioners I was using contained sulfates similar to those found in shampoo; but my itchy, flaky scalp told me otherwise. Now when co-washing I apply product to the ends of my hair and work my way up the strand but avoid applying any product to the roots/scalp area. I have noticed that using my fingers to gently massage my scalp while standing beneath the stream of the shower will loosen any dirt and debris and rinse it away without my needing to apply product. 

Rinse Hair Thoroughly
Several women swear by leaving a bit of their conditioner in - they say this promotes moisturized hair. For me, if conditioner is not completely rinsed my hair is left feeling coated and sticky rather than clean & refreshed. I found that conditioners like V05 did not rinse easily which left me with limp strands and product build up. Rinsing completely helps combat product build-up which can lead to any number of hair issues.

Use A Quality Shampoo Once Per Week
It is no secret that frequent co-washing can lead to product build up. Using a quality shampoo to completely rid strands of any excess product is a must for anyone who co-washes with regularity. I would recommend using a good clarifying shampoo at least once a month, but because my hair is colored and I do not want to cause fading I opt to shampoo with a well formulated sulfate shampoo monthly and sulfate-free shampoos in-between.

Co-washing with the right method and conditioner has changed my perspective on the practice. I can't say this is something I would do if I were not texlaxed and colored, but for those of us with extremely dry and/or damaged hair co-washing can work miracles.

What is your favorite co-wash conditioner?

No comments:

Post a Comment