Wednesday, March 25, 2015

A Summer Regimen for Damaged (Relaxed & Color Treated) Hair



Summer is a time for experimenting with your strands. It's a time where we throw caution to the wind, add color, hit the beach, abandon our protective styles, and show off our length. I am all for having fun with my hair, trying new things, and enjoying my progress but I also realize that if I am too lax with my haircare practices over the Summer the result can be a major setback come Fall.

My hair tends to get drier in the Summer months and adding color to the mix along with my already chemically processed (relaxed) strands will only make matters worse. Prior to coloring my hair I was aware of the risks of double processing and talked over the coloring process, best products to use to get the color I desired, and at-home maintenance with my stylist to ensure that I could continue to take the best possible care with my strands.

I have been colored and relaxed for going on one week & throughout that time I have kept a close watch on my hair. I have come up with the following regimen to maintain my strands this Summer:

Monday: Co-Wash

Normally I am not a fan of co-washing because I feel it leaves my hair feeling coated and my scalp itchy. I decided to give it one more try last Monday using my GVP Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm & applying it first to the ends of my strands, then massaging any excess into my roots. I allowed the conditioner to sit for about 3 minutes then rinsed thoroughly with warm water to ensure all traces of the conditioner were gone. I allowed my hair to air dry for 30 minutes before applying my leave-ins and setting my hair in twists for a twist out.

Tuesday: Moisturize & Seal

Using the L.O.C method, spray strands lightly with water until slightly damp, apply Coconut Oil followed by ORS Moisturizing Hair Lotion. Re-twist to maintain twist out.

Wednesday: Co-Wash

Co-wash again as on Monday.

Thursday: Moisturize & Seal

Follow the L.O.C method to moisturize & seal strands, re-twist to maintain style.

Friday: Co-Wash

Co-wash using either the same conditioner as Monday & Wednesday or opt for a light protein conditioner (depending upon how your hair feels) to prevent moisture overload.

Saturday: Moisturize & Seal

Follow L.O.C Method to moisturize & seal strands and either re-twist or style hair in a protective style (bun, updo, etc.).

Sunday: Wash Day

Saturate strands with Coconut Oil, detangle & apply a processing cap for at least one hour.
Using a sulfate-free shampoo, shampoo strands to remove excess product build-up (use luke-warm water to prevent color fading). It may be necessary to shampoo twice to fully rid strands of product & conditioner molecules that may stick to strands; follow with a quick 2 minute condition using the matching conditioner.
 Deep condition using a protein conditioner under a heating cap and heat source for no less than 15 minutes.
T-shirt dry strands for at least 30 minutes prior to applying leave-ins and styling.

I plan to make any necessary tweaks to my regimen as the Spring & Summer continue depending upon my hair's needs. Although I have had success with co-washing this week I am not sure if the process will continue to be successful as the weeks progress.

How do you care for you hair in the Spring & Summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment