Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Pre-Poo Vs. Hot Oil Treatment: Is There a Difference?

I purchased some Hot Six Oil today that I intend to incorporate into my regimen in several different ways; as I thought about the different treatments I could do with the oil my first thought was hot oil treatments followed by pre-poo treatments. This got me wondering what the difference was between the two, was there a difference?

Pre Poo Treatment

  • Applied to the hair prior to shampooing
  • May help prevent hygral fatigue (if using coconut oil)
  • Can be done using conditioner, honey, or oils
  • May be left on anywhere from 5 mins - over night
  • Can be done with or without a processing cap
  • Helps prevent the drying/stripping affects of shampoos
  • Aids in the detangling process
  • Promotes shine and moisture

Hot Oil Treatment

  • Applied on freshly shampooed hair
  • Adds extra moisture to extremely dry/damaged hair
  • Must be done using a processing cap
  • Should be left on for 10 - 15 minutes
  • Promotes shine
  • Helps prevent dry scalp and dandruff
  • Helps disguise split ends
  • Keeps colored hair vibrant
  • Helps prevent frizz
  • Reduces damage caused by styling and/or coloring
 Both treatments can be used weekly depending upon the current condition of the hair (for those with healthy tresses hot oil treatments should be used once per month), and if a pre-poo is done using strictly oils there seems to be little difference between the two treatments.

I have not done a hot oil treatment in several months so I plan to do one on my next wash day. As for pre-poo'ing I have not pre-poo'd for the past two wash sessions and have not seen any adverse affects with my hair. I am not sure when I will re-incorporate this step into my regimen, it doesn't seem to help or hurt my tresses and may be an extra unnecessary step. I am actually thinking about leaving the pre-poo for the occasions when I clarify my hair and when I intend to relax my hair. In between these two situations I will pre-poo as needed if and when my hair feels particularly dry.

Which do you prefer: Pre-poo or Hot Oil?

No comments:

Post a Comment