Wednesday, September 3, 2014

30 Days With Flex Rods


Now that I have mastered the art of the flex-rod install I am completely obsessed! So obsessed that I have decided for the entire month of September the only style I will rock will be the flex rod set.

It has been three days since I set my hair and the curls are still holding up fairly nice considering I didn't use a styling product or anything with hold. Another mishap with my curls was removing one rod before it was completely dry then re-rodding it, this caused the curl to drop dramatically so on the first day it looked like a third day curl and today it is basically a loose wave. Fortunately these two missteps have not had much of a negative impact, and to perfect my future sets I plan to do the following:

  • Garnier Fructis Curl Sculpt Mousse - this will be used to add a light hold and shine to my curls
  • 1.5 Hours under the dryer - when I set my hair Monday I sat beneath the dryer for one hour then removed a rod to see if my hair was dry, this resulted in droopy curls. This time I will stay under the dryer for at least 1.5 hours and let my hair air dry for another 30-45 minutes before removing the rods.
  • ORS  Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion - In place of my normal light weight leave-ins I am planning to use my ORS hair lotion to add an extra boost of moisture since my curls will remain all week and any additional moisturizing and sealing will cause the curls to drop. This will also serve as a buffer between my strands and the Curl Sculpt Mousse since I have never tried it and it may be a bit drying.
Benefits of Flex Rod Sets
  • Save Time - when I blow dry and flat iron it takes a minimum of three hours and Curlformers usually take about an hour to install. I can flex-rod my entire head in about 30 minutes, add in time beneath the drier for deep conditioning and drying and that makes for about a 2.5 hour TOTAL wash day.
  • Long Lasting Results - using the proper hair products for moisture and hold along with the pineapple method my curls should last for at least five days. My Curlformer curls typically last one day (if not a few hours) and when I flat iron I have to roll my hair every night (or ever other night) to maintain the curls.
  • Low Manipulation - since the curls will last five days without my needing to roll my hair again each night I can go a full week without touching/manipulating my hair.
  • Versatility - Depending on the size of the rods used and the method used for rolling I can rock anything from a cute faux curly afro to retro waves. I can also style the curls different ways such as high buns, ponytails, textured pin-ups, and banana clip up-do's just to name a few.
  • Bad Hair Days Are Impossible! - with flex rod sets as long as you install them correctly (and even when you don't) it is impossible to have a bad hair day. If the curls start to drop simply pin them up or put them into a cute textured bun; however you choose to style them they are always cute.
Hopefully I won't tire of the curls and I can find new and interesting ways to style them each week, but for the next 30 days Flex Rods will be the only styling tool I use.

What are your styling plans for this month?



No comments:

Post a Comment