Friday, July 31, 2015

Keep It Simple: A Simple Regimen for Beginners (With Product Suggestions)




A hair regimen does not need to be elaborate or full of expensive products to be effective. Since my big chop I've taken my hair care back to basics and eliminated processes and products I've found to be unnecessary on my journey to healthy hair. If you are starting a hair journey or just looking to simplify your current regimen the processes and products below may be just what you need to jump-start your journey and see the health and length gains you've been waiting for.


Weekly

Currently I shampoo my hair once per week using a sulfate-free shampoo. I prefer a sulfate-free shampoo because my hair is color treated, however, I have found that a well formulated shampoo containing sulfates can work wonders on my strands. I always follow up my shampoo with either a moisturizing or protein conditioner depending upon my hair's needs and how I plan to style for the week. If I am using hot tools I use both a moisturizing and protein conditioner, but if I will be roller setting I skip the protein and opt for a thick moisturizing conditioner.

Leave-Ins are an important step in your wash day routine and aid in not only the addition of moisture to your strands, but seals that moisture into your strands. I prefer to apply my leave-ins in sections to ensure that each strand is covered. I do not use a comb until leave-ins are applied, this prevents more hair fall and breakage than necessary since my strands are conditioned and slippery. At this point a wide-tooth comb will glide effortlessly through my hair. Your styling choice for the week should dictate your choice of leave-in; if I am allowing my hair to air dry or doing a roller set I opt for thick and creamy leave-ins full of moisturizing properties. However if I am using hot tools I go for light protein-moisture balanced leave-ins.


Daily

The daily handling of your strands should depend upon both your style choice of the week and how your hair feels at the end of the day. At one point I was moisturizing my hair daily, and although this practice is common and not generally harmful it proved to be unnecessary for me as my hair stayed moisturized for at least three days at a time. If I am wearing my hair straight for the week I reapply a dime sized amount of my creamy leave-in conditioner followed by a pea-sized amount of coconut oil to seal. When my hair has been roller set or air dried I lightly mist my strands with my protein-based leave-in and seal with a few drops of coconut and olive oil.

3 Months

Every 12 weeks I visit my stylist and receive a relaxer and trim if necessary. I have found that having a professional apply my relaxer ensures even coverage and a uniform texture from root to tip. My hair is currently telaxed, meaning I purposely have my stylist under-process my strands to maintain a bit of texture. I make sure to have my stylist do a mid-step protein treatment and follow up with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Prior to seeing my stylist on relaxer day I make sure to thoroughly detangle my strands and apply an oil of choice to the length of my strands to protect against relaxer run-off. 

The following are all products I have tried & found to be effective at cleansing and conditioning my hair, and leaving it moisturized and soft:

Shampoos
  • Kera Minerals Smoothing Sulfate Free Shampoo
  • L'Oreal Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo
  • Organix Hydrating Macadamia Oil Shampoo
Conditioners 
  • Kera Minerals Smoothing Deep Conditioner
  • Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm (GVP Brand)
  • Organix Hydrating Macadamia Oil Conditioner
  • Garnier Fructis Damage Eraser Strength Reconstructing Butter
  • Aphogee Kerating 2 Minute Reconstructor
Leave-Ins
  • ORS Oil Moisturizing Hair Lotion
  • Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In Conditioner
  • Aphogee Kerating & Green Tea Reconstructurizer
  • Organix  Argan Oil of Morocco Penetrating Oil
  • Kera Minerals Smoothing Leave-In Conditioner
  • Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-In Conditioner
Sealants
  • Olive Oil
  • Coconut Oil 
  • Proclaim Glossing Polish
I neglected to list or mention the use of a heat protectant because I use conditioners containing 'cones which are scientifically proven to coat the hair and protect against high temperatures. In addition to conditioners I also use leave-ins that are clearly defined as providing protection from heat styling tools, this eliminates the need for traditional heat protection sprays. 

A hair journey does not have to be intimidating or time consuming. With these simple products and tips you too can be on your way to healthy hair.

For in depth reviews of the products listed check out my Product Review section.

No comments:

Post a Comment