Wednesday, July 9, 2014

#TeamNoScissors






I have decided to stop cutting my hair [insert pause for dramatic gasps]. I was perusing YouTube a few days ago and saw a video from a young lady titled #TeamNoScissors. I was immediately interested by the title and proceeded to watch the video. This YouTuber who just so happens to have hair about an inch past her tailbone, explained her hair journey and how she has not cut her hair in five years. Having been taught to believe that split ends will cause breakage once the move up the hair shaft I questioned how she could go that long without cutting and still have such great lengths?

Then it occurred to me that if the goal is longer lengths why would I cut my hair? Isn't that counter-productive? I thought about the last time I inspected the ends of my hair (five minutes ago, lol) and if I had ever seen a split that had moved up my hair shaft? I had not; nor had I ever experienced breakage from infrequent trimming....so maybe she had a valid point. As the video continued she issued a hair challenge for her followers: no cutting or trimming the hair for as long as you can stand it -  be it three months, six months, or 2 years - until you reach your goal length. As a caveat she recommended trimming any damage first, then proceeding with the challenge to make sure you start fresh.

I cast my lot and I am in! For the next six months I refuse to cut, dust, or trim my ends in the hopes of making it to MBL. I am however, completely obsessed with the health of my ends so I will be stepping my game up a few notches to ensure that my ends remain in tip-top condition during this time. 


Game Plan


  • Protein treat the ends (last three inches) of my hair using protein leave-ins (Organix Coconut Milk Serum)
  • Apply deep conditioner in sections focusing on the ends
  • Search and Destroy more frequently if needed
  • Keep those ends tucked! Buns and fishtail braids will be my new best friends

Are you #TeamNoScissors?



No comments:

Post a Comment