Monday, May 18, 2015

Kitchen Beautician: A Semi-Homemade Strengthening & Moisturizing Deep Conditioner




 After discovering I had some breakage a few weeks ago I took some time to re-evaluate my hair as well as my hair care practices. I reasoned that there were a few things I was doing that weren't considered damaging - but that could cause damage when not done correctly. For example I would moisturize & seal my hair nightly but I did not section my hair before doing so, I simply slathered moisturizer and my sealant over my strands - inevitably leaving some strands out of the equation (which could lead to dryness and breakage). I followed this same method for all product applications, including my conditioner.

Also because my hair is both color treated and relaxed my primary focus has been moisture, moisture, moisture. I was so caught up in combating dryness via moisturizing products that I forgot the key role of protein in the battle. In my quest for both strong and moisturized hair I took a little trip down memory lane to my days as a natural & how I would often mix my own moisturizers and deep conditioners. I dyed my hair even as a natural and dryness & breakage were never an issue (although I was plagued by split-ends and split-middles) & I reason that this was due to the fact that my hair was stronger and more thoroughly moisturized (I also moisturized in sections at the time). 

I came up with the following deep conditioner that will be my go-to recipe until my hair is restored (or I see it is no longer working):

  • 2 Tbs conditioner (preferably a reconstructor)
  • 1 tsp Honey
  • 1 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1 tsp Coconut Oil

Heat the oil in a hot water bath for 2 minutes prior to adding to the conditioner and honey mix. Section hair into 4 quadrants and apply the conditioner from root to ends using a relaxer brush for even coverage.
Cover strands with a processing cap and let sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Rinse with luke-warm water to remove all product and follow with cool water to seal cuticles.

You may need to adjust the ingredients to suit your hair's length and thickness, but the hair should be completely saturated with the conditioning mix. I have used this DC for 3 weeks now using 3 different conditioners as well as different processing times - it may take a few tries before you find a method that works for your strands. I have noticed that I can easily forgo a day of co-washing without my strands feeling like straw and I have not noticed any new areas of breakage. It is still a little early to tell if I have completely eliminated the breakage problem, but I will keep you all posted on my progress.


What is your go-to deep conditioner for strength and moisture?












No comments:

Post a Comment