Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Relaxer Talk: Tips for Successfully Extending Your Relaxer Stretch

 
 
As a general rule of thumb I do not like to extend the time between relaxer applications to any longer than 12 weeks. I stretched to 16 weeks once at the beginning of my relaxed hair journey and it was a nightmare! My hair shed like a dog, I experienced excessive tangling, and it was a pain trying to blend my new growth with my relaxed ends. After that experience I vowed to never again exceed 12 weeks between relaxers.
 
I normally stick to my hair care regimenslike glue, but I am learning to go-with-the-flow and give my hair what it needs when it needs it rather than stick to a set timeframe, this includes my relaxer schedule. This Fall I am on a mission to reach mid-back length by Winter and as a result I have decided to extend my relaxer stretch to 20 weeks in an effort to meet my length goal. I am currently 14 weeks post relaxer with about 2 inches of new growth. I noticed that I have not experienced the same tangling, shedding and difficulty styling that I did during my last 16 week stretch and I attribute that to the following:
 
Keep your roots stretched
Opt for Curlformer sets for maximum stretch and a flawless blend of the two textures. Flexi rods may work for some, but I have found that with flexi rods the deeper I am into my stretch the harder it is to blend my roots with my relaxed ends as there is a bit more frizz.
 
Use a little heat
Using a blow-dryer with a concentrator nozzle blast those roots while holding the ends of your hair taunt. When done on Curlformer or roller-set hair it results in a smoother set and better blend of the two textures while eliminating tangles.
 
Decrease manipulation
Leave your hair alone!  I typically wash and style twice per week, but I have switched from every three days to every 7 days. This allows me to leave my hair alone longer, decreasing my manipulation.
 
Increase your protein usage
 The line of demarcation, where your new growth meets your relaxed ends, is extremely fragile and therefore more susceptible to breakage. To prevent breakage use a protein conditioner at your line of demarcation (or all over for overall strength) with every wash and follow with a moisturizing conditioner.
 
Moisturize & Seal more
If you are like me you depend on your wash days to provide your hair with the moisture it needs and you wash more frequently; as a result you may not moisturize and seal daily. During a long stretch when you are essentially leaving your hair alone it is important to maintain the hair's moisture levels between shampoo sessions. Break out your favorite moisturizer and oil and moisturize those strands daily.
 
Switch your hair products
I find that deeper into my relaxer stretch to get the sleek look I desire I have to switch from moisture-based products to products that smooth the hair and reduce frizz.
 
Although the above practices are currently working just fine, I plan to continue to evaluate my hair each week for the duration of my stretch to ensure that my strands remain healthy throughout this stretch and I retain the length I have worked so hard to gain.

 

What hair practices help you extend your relaxer stretch?



No comments:

Post a Comment