Friday, July 18, 2014

The Seven Day GHE + Inversion Method Challenge




For the past six days I have participated in a seven day GHE/Inversion Method Challenge. The idea of the challenge originated from a long haired blogger I follow who got amazing results using these two methods (she actually gained two inches of hair in seven days) and quadrupled her growth rate. Since the health of my hair is already at an optimal condition I am purely focused on maintaining health and achieving longer lengths, thus my participation in this challenge.

Tonight will be my last official night of the challenge, but due to the results I am seeing I may actually extend the challenge to 30 days, maybe even three months. Here is what I do:


  1. Oil scalp with Africa's Best Herbal Oil 
  2. Massage scalp thoroughly for a few minutes
  3. Lie on the couch with my head hanging over the edge for four minutes - massage scalp some more
  4. After four minutes slowly raise head to prevent dizziness
  5. Place a silk scarf on hair 
  6. Follow with a plastic grocery bag or shower cap
  7. Follow with a bonnet
  8. Leave on for at least 6 hours (I usually let it stay on from 4:30-10:30)
  9. Remove and allow hair to air dry
  10. Style hair as usual
Based on the little research I could find the creation of a sauna or steam-producing environment on the scalp releases toxins, improves blood circulation to the hair follicles, and increases the production of the scalp's natural oils which travel down the hair shaft providing protection to the strands. This increase in the flow of sebum is what strengthens and moisturizes the strands allowing for greater length retention, while improved blood circulation stimulates increased hair growth. What happens with our hair and scalp is similar to what happens in the earth's atmosphere.

I followed the above steps for the first five days of the challenge, but on last night I did not apply any additional oil to my scalp due to some itchiness I was experiencing, and I do not plan to add any more oil tonight - I will simply follow steps 2 - 10 above.

The affects of the GH Method on hair are literally immediate - once you remove your coverings and the plastic cap you will notice that your hair is damp, this is from the steamy environment you created. Although I cannot attest to any additional length at this point (I have not measured my hair & I still have one day left), I have experienced the following results:

  • Moisturized hair: I have not applied any moisturizer to the length of my strands since my wash day July 12; my hair is still thoroughly moisturized.
  • Softer new growth: my new growth has frizzed a bit, but it is not nearly as curly as it would be at 12+ weeks post
  • Itchy scalp: the use of oil for 5 days has caused some itchiness to my scalp. Moving forward I will not apply any oils, simply let my scalp's natural oil do the job.
  • Reduction in breakage and shedding: although I mostly credit my lack of shedding and breakage to the use of heat styling tools to seal my cuticles on my last wash day, I realize that this reduction may be due in some way to the GHE. I will be back to air drying, but continuing the GHE so I will know for sure in the next week.
Aside from the promise of longer hair the GH Method appears to live up to the hype and it is something I believe my hair can benefit from, especially since I will be back to air drying and roller setting. My hope is that the GHE will keep my hair's moisture levels optimal and prevent the shedding and breakage that air drying seems to cause for me. 

Have you tried the Greenhouse Method?

No comments:

Post a Comment