Friday, July 18, 2014

Preparing for Wash Day




I have been complaining for the last week or so about how air drying and roller setting cause breakage and shedding for me; but because I have made this my summer routine I plan to stick with it until August. Sticking with the process and finding methods that work are possibly the most important parts of any hair journey if you want to reach your hair goals and see results.

With that in mind and armed with the information I have gleaned from other hair blogs I have come up with a plan I hope will results in a breakage and shedding-free wash day this Saturday.






  • Skip the pre-poo: this may sound counter-productive but there is already enough oil in my hair from the inversion/GHE challenge I have been doing for the past six days.


  • Mane'n Tail Shampoo: One of the biggest claims of this shampoo is that it strengthens hair and increases hair growth. I did not see any additional growth while using this shampoo, but my hair did shed less and was always manageable after use.
  • Joico K-Pak Reconstructor: this conditioner contains safflower oil, which has a high ceramide content. According to a little internet research, "Ceramides bind to the hair fiber in damaged, vulnerable areas to help prevent natural moisture and protein loss that occurs when we manipulate our hair. Natural ceramides keep the hair fiber tight, and cuticles flat so that the hair shines and has low porosity." ( How Ceramicides Benefit Black Hair)  Since I believe the issue with my hair and air drying is the cuticle is not properly sealed, I am hoping that using this conditioner will properly seal the cuticle and prevent shedding and breakage.
  • Ion Pre-Shampoo Oil Treatment: I am not sure what it is about this oil mixture, but it stops shedding and breakage immediately when I apply it as a pre-shampoo treatment before wash days. My hope is that using this oil as a sealant after washing and conditioning will have the same affect.
  • Proclaim Glossing Polish: In place of my usual Organix Coconut Anti Breakage Serum I will be using Proclaim Glossing Polish. This glosser contains both Safflower Oil and Wheat Germ Oil, both rich in ceramides to help flatten my cuticles.


My hope is that the use of ceramide-rich products will seal my cuticles as effectively as hot tools and therefore reduce - if not eliminate completely - the amount of shedding and breakage I experience when air drying. 



What are your plans for wash day?




No comments:

Post a Comment