Sunday, February 15, 2015

Tips for a Successful Salon Visit



Visiting a professional stylist can be a welcomed break from the monotony of your hair regimen as well as a key factor in the maintenance of your hair's health; but the idea of trusting your hair to someone else can be nerve-racking. The following tips should ensure a smooth  process for both you and your stylist of choice:

Schedule time to meet with your stylist prior to making an appointment. 
This will allow you the opportunity to see the stylist in action. How they handle stress, whether or not they work on multiple clients at a time, double-book appointments, rush or take their time are all indications of how your appointment will be.

Discuss your current hair practices and goals.

 Discussing how you handle your hair and your goals will give the stylist an understanding of how they should and should not handle your tresses. For example, prior to receiving a trim I shared with my stylist the fact that I had a desire to reach WL this year. As a result when she trimmed my hair she took off about 3/4 an inch.

Allow the stylist to "analyze" or familarize themselves with your stands.
The point of seeing a professional stylist is to get a professional perspective on the health of your stands. A good stylist will tell you the true condition of your tresses and will also provide tips for at-home maintenance. Additionally allowing the stylist to inspect your hair beforehand will give them an idea of what products to use as well as the best way to handle your strands. For example, I texlax my hair and prior to scheduling my relaxer I shared this with my stylist. She immediately indicated the type of relaxer she felt was best to maintain the texture I desired and how she would apply it.

Bring your own products if necessary
If you are going for a relaxer and your stylist uses Mizani but you like Affirm, don't be afraid to bring your product of choice. I would suggest letting the stylist know your plans beforehand and negotiating a new price for the use of your own products.

Prepare your hair at home
Detangle your hair before you visit the stylist. If you are going for a relaxer base your scalp and apply whatever product you use to protect against relaxer run-off. I would also suggest doing a protein treatment the week before if your stylist is going to skip the mid-step protein treatment.

Next Saturday I am getting my hair relaxed in a Salon for the first time in more than 12 months and although I am excited about the prospect of someone else handling my hair for a change I am also taking steps to ensure the integrity of my strands remains intact. 

How do you prepare for a salon visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment